Tuesday, December 21, 2010

O, oo, oooh, listen to the music.

I love California.  It's in my bones.  It's in my sensory memory.  At times, I can smell the pine or the crisp mountain air.  My skin can feel the prickle of the sun warming it.  
What is it about this place?  Maybe some people have bad memories attached to their home, so they try to forget it.  And if they were to try and recall special moments in their childhood they probably couldn't.  But I can, even down to the smells.  It's comforting.

The woods in California are attached to a very bright spot in my memory.  I love the mossy, speckled boulders, the huge redwoods with their fuzzy bark or the expansive cascading oaks.  And the rives that race down the mountain and knock against the rocks...it's overwhelming and it fills me to my core.
Nature is a force to be reckoned with even if you're just standing still in a clearing of trees.
And, nature is therapeutic.  I've started to appreciate it more and more.  When you live in a metro area, nature can be scary.  HAH.  It is!  You know why?
Nature doesn't make noise, it's not distracting or busy, keeping you from yourself.  It makes music.  But, you can only hear it if you're quiet.  Not just with your voice but in your mind and heart.  Beautiful.

         By nature, no pun intended, I am not a person who enjoys solitude or anything close to it.  So learning to be still long enough to let the peacefulness of the trees, grass, rives and ravines speak to me was a hard lesson to learn.  I've learned to set the city in me at rest so I can hear the songs nature has for me.  
                                    
                                     They are beautiful and can woo even the restless of souls.

No comments: