Thursday, May 8, 2008

Auction




Today, we visited an auction. As a side note, we still don't have any furniture so, we figured this would be a great opportunity to find some great deals on what we need! This particular auction was called a "Benefit Auction" and the proceeds were to help a nearby Bible Institute. I wasn't prepared...What I mean is before we walked in the door I saw skirts, skirts, and more skirts. And when we actually stepped through the door it was like going back into time. The women sat with hair piled high and swirled into little nests atop their heads. Their faces were pure and their skirts slitless. Did I just walk into Pentecost past??? The lady at the desk smiled and took our names and gave us a number so we could participate in the bidding. Everywhere I turned there were Pentecostals -- so I thought. Come to find out they were Methodists, Independents, God's Missionary and many more uber-conservative Christian types. What a weird feeling, looking at these people holding the same standards we do and preaching something totally different. I didn't know such people existed. The only obvious religious sects that I would expect to see these standards in would be the Mennonite and Amish. I'm still amazed. Oh, yeah, and we bought the neatest looking box/trunk for our front room for $25! Yyeeesss! Officially our first piece of furniture in this house.

4 comments:

Faith Maria Lopez said...

OKAY!!! Where's the pic of the desk???

Kari Morgan said...

How FUN!!! I am so jealous...I wanna go...wah.

BTW I tagged you on my blog...go there to see what I mean...

East Coast-er Momma said...

Maria: It's a box/trunk and it's red. I'll take a pic and upload it right now. David and I did a mock up of how we want the front room to look and it's going to be AWESOME!

Kari: I'll take a look

Ruth said...

I love the box. Very unique. Maybe I should plan a trip around "benefit" auction events?