Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Building little brains


It's very hard.  For me.  Maybe not for the teacher at heart but for this flighty minded momma, teaching my baby boy has come as somewhat of a test for me.  I do it.  But I'm not as diligent as I should be. 

Wow, I feel like I'm in confessional or something. 

 
We do the alphabet in Russian, we count in Russian, we do mind building skills in Russian and I do a little bit of American alphabet on the side.  I'm not so concerned there, because he is surrounded by so much English that it won't take him but a minute to master the basics.  For now, I'm really honing in on his Russian.  And as soon as I can, I will make sure to enroll him in Russian school.  Of course, this will have to happen after we move back to Cali because we're currently living where no such thing exists. 
However, in spite of the fact I'm struggling to stay consistent, I can count on little bursts of inspiration from watching Romalise as she tries to say the alphabet with Cylas and I.  And then, during the day, I'll hear Cylas mumbling the alphabet to himself.  I've even caught him trying to teach Roma.  Man, that makes me feel so good.  If you've ever been to our place, you'll know that I'm big on educational, teaching toys.  Almost all of the toys my babies have help with any number of rudimentary skills.  D and I have never been big on buying junk.  Everything has a purpose.   Our aim is to create a fun atmosphere for learning.  I think it's working.
 
Cy and I have a lot of fun practicing his drills.  His attention span runs about as long as a firefly's lighted rear-end, but I'm working on that.  
Let's have it for persevering and determination.  (don't give up, don't give up)

No comments: